from my mom
Adam can't believe I would add oatmeal to something as sacred as a brownie, but these are the brownies I grew up with. And I like them. Sometimes I double the crust and use 1/2 whole wheat flour.
1 cup quick oats
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp soda
1/4 tsp salt
6 TB butter, melted
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
3 TB cocoa1 TB oil
1 egg
2/3 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup nuts (optional)
for fudge frosting:
2 TB butter
3 TB cocoa
1 TB oil
1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
hot water
For bottom layer, stir together first 5 ingredients. Stir in 6 TB melted butter. Pat in 7x11 pan. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
For middle layer, combine sugar, 1/4 cup butter, cocoa, and oil. Add egg. Beat well. Stir together 2/3 cup flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to chocolate mixture alternately with a mixture of the milk and vanilla, mixing after each addition. Fold in nuts, if desired. Spread batter over baked layer. Continue baking at 350 for 25 minutes. Cool. Frost with fudge frosting and cut into bars.
For Fudge Frosting
Combine butter, cocoa, and oil in small saucepan, and melt over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in powdered sugar and vanilla. Blend in how water (about 2 TB) to make almost pourable consistency.
1 comment:
These remind me of your house! YUM.
Post a Comment